A down comforter is similar to a regular comforter except that the filling used is down feathers from a geese or a duck. These feathers are so light and soft that they make the down comforter exceptionally light and fluffy and very comfortable.
Down comforters are your perfect partner in chilly nights as they provide you with a feeling of warmth in winters and give you a deep slumber due to its satin and soft feel and make sleeping a leisurely experience. With the perfect quality of down comforters one cam actually ‘sleep like a baby.’
QUALITIES OF A DOWN COMFORTER
When looking for the best down comforter one should keep certain qualities in mind.
- The size of the comforter matters greatly for sleeping comfortably throughout the night. One should always invest in a down comforter which is one size bigger than the bed size.
- Another quality is fill power. Fill power is the quantity of fills to measure the warmth of the comforter. For a person living in a country with warm climate then a fill power of 500 would be great but for countries with lower temperatures, a fill power of 700 would be best. Down comforters come in all weights from light to ultra heavy, so one can easily choose for their requirements.
- Another quality to check is the thread count. The thread count is directly proportional to the softness of the fabric on your skin. The tighter the weave the more the quality of the comforter is good. Generally a thread count of 400 to 450 is associated with the best down comforter.
- When selecting one should always opt for a down comforter with baffled seams. Baffled or boxed seams are stitching in sort of boxes which prevent the down in each box to migrate to the other. Baffled comforters are more fluffy and retain their softness for a long time.
When the best down comforter has been selected, one should also take its precautions. A down comforter should not be washed frequently because the down feathers can smudge together causing the comforter to become hard and clumped. Best way to protect is to always keep it covered with a duvet cover. Once the down feathers loose their fluff and softness and become tight together, then it is time to purchase another down comforter.
BEST DOWN COMFORTERS 2016
- Legends Geneva Hungarian Best Goose Down Comforter.
- Brooklinen All-Season Down Comforter.
- Fieldcrest Luxury Down Comforter.
- Crane and Canopy Luxe Goose Down Comforter.
- Parachute Down Duvet.
- Pacific Coast- European Down Comforter.